The following are the most commonly asked questions by Marshallese residing in the U.S. We encourage all Marshallese citizens in the U.S. to read the latest Fact Sheet on citizens of the Freely Associated States (RMI and FSM) issued by the Department of Homeland Security, available for download here.




My passport has expired, should I just wait until I plan to travel outside the U.S. to renew it? Under the Compact, as Amended, Marshallese citizens are required to be in possession of a valid passport at all times while in the United States.


I have lost my passport, can the Embassy issue a Letter of Identity so that I can be able to show proof of my citizenship? The Embassy can not issue letters of identity if you have misplaced your passport or if your passport has expired.  The Attorney General of the RMI has sole responsibility to issue and process passports. It's also very important to note that all RMI citizens must carry a valid RMI passport at all times.


How and where can I renew my passport? The office of the Attorney General issues RMI passports, therefore you will have to fill out an application and mail to the AG’s office in Majuro.  All instructions are included in the application.  You may print an application form off this website or by calling the Embassy to mail you a form.


How long will it take to have my passport renewed? Please allow 3-4 weeks; this includes processing and mailing of passport to/from Majuro. 


When can I renew my passport? Do not wait until your passport expires.  You can renew passports 6 months before expiration.


Why am I being denied a Social Security Number when I have a RMI Passport? You will not be denied a SSN, state ID or Drivers License, school, or work as long as you have a Valid RMI passport.  Valid means the passport can not be expired and the I-94 can not be altered and should be attached with the passport.


I lost my I-94, where can I get one? You will have to apply for an I-94 at the nearest United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Office (USCIS) or you can download the I-102 application form from their website at and the fee for an I-94 replacement is $330. Visit USCIS website for more information.  


What documents do I need to obtain a Social Security Number? You will need a Valid RMI passport including the I-94 and any form of student or State ID.


What do I need to obtain a State Drivers License or State ID Card? Depending on the State where you live, the requirements may vary.  However, you should have a SSN card before applying for a Driver’s License or State ID card.  You will also need your valid RMI passport and I-94 and proof of your current address.


Why I am being only given a temporary driver license valid only for one year?  While the Compact does not require Marshallese citizens to apply for Employment Authorization Document (EAD card), we encourage you to obtain one by filing Form I-75 with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This is helpful when applying for a driver license. Instruction for completing the form is available here: or by visiting USCIS website. (Source: USCIS Fact Sheet)


Why am I told that I am not qualified for a student loan because I am a RMI citizen? Citizens of the RMI are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, or Federal Work-Study.  Applicants should check with their schools’ financial aid offices for more information.


Why am I being told I’m ineligible for Medicaid/Medicare? RMI citizens are not eligible for all federal social benefit programs.   


Am I eligible for Affordable Care Act (known as Obamacare)? RMI citizens are considered “lawfully present” and thus are eligible to join so long as they reside within the 50 states. (Source: USDOI Office of Insular Affairs)